Saturday, September 17, 2016

Welcome to My Entrepreneurial Journey!

This semester at BYU-Idaho, I am taking a course called Introduction to Entrepreneurship.  I am looking forward to this course.  Initially, I thought this was truly going to be about how to start your own business.  However, it appears from this first week that it is going to be more about how to start you.  In fact, one of the portions of the course is called "The Start Up of You."  Meaning, finding what you enjoy, finding what you want to do, finding about whom you are, finding your goals in life, finding your passions and loves and then turning those things into a business to benefit others.  The majority of the course seems to be about learning about you first.

Many of you know that my ultimate dream for a career is to own rental properties.  It took Kevin and me many years and many courses to finally get our first rental property.  I guess I shouldn't say we "got" our first rental property as much as I should say we "kept" our first rental property.  People kept telling us that if we sold our first home to buy our new home we would be able to put that money down and the payments would be less.  However, knowing that we only had less than 5 years left on the mortgage and also knowing that our ultimate goal was to own rental properties we could not sell our first home.  Now three years later, we have purchased our second property, a duplex.  Within the next year and a half, I would like to purchase one more property.  Or, if we are lucky, with me going through this course and some other things we are doing, we can purchase another property much sooner than that.  We will see, but my goal is to keep moving forward with that.

Most entrepreneurs don't usually just stop with one business, so why should I?  I am working on setting up an Etsy shop to sell digital invitations.  Because of my love for scrapbooking, I have decided I should put my love to use.  I think I can create (and have created in the past) pretty cute and fun invitations that people would be willing to buy.  I know others who have done it and are very successful.  I have many ideas for invitations and many invitations that I have already created that could be converted into items to sell.  I have been encouraged to do so by a good friend and also my adviser at school.

As I continue throughout this course, I hope I gain the knowledge about myself to stop living in the rut I have been, going through the motions that no longer excite me and breaking out and following the dreams that I have had for 15+ years.  I look forward to what I will learn and putting that knowledge into use.  I hope you will follow me on this journey and if you have ever wanted to be your own boss, seriously consider it and make plans to do so.  Life is too short to not enjoy what you are doing or the journey you are taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment